Friday, March 28, 2008

A Masterpiece? Well...not quite...

All writers believe in their works. If they didn't they wouldn't try to get them pubilshed. All writers believe that their story, their creative genius, their words of wisdom should be shared with the masses.

Should they? Well, that's a very subjective call, isn't it?

I wholeheartedly agree that it is a shame that some authors will never be published - they really are writing "hidden" masterpieces. I also believe that some people who DO get published have no business being published by anyone. Their prose stinks, their plots are weak, their characters are underdeveloped, their writing is mundane...and yet...someone pays them for those books and they are PUBLISHED AUTHORS. (We won't even go into the whole vanity-press thing here.)

Which am I? Well, I hope I'm not a talentless hack. I'd like to think that people will enjoy my works of fiction. I think I can entertain and amuse with my writing - at least I make myself grin from time to time (and my editor seems to like the majority of my story[g]). I DO have issues with repeating words, but I'm working on that.

Thoughts? Have you ever read a book and wondered what the editor was drinking when they agreed to buy that book? Have you ever read a manuscript and wondered what the editors are smoking when they don't buy the book? I really would like to know...

Thank you for playing along.

1 comment:

Barb Webb said...

Yup and Yup... but, as you mentioned, writing, like any art, is subjective.

But, man, when someone "gets" what you are crafting and/or appreciates the prose- wow-wee... the whole world is rainbow bright :)