Monday, March 17, 2008

An bhfuil tú dálta fós?

That's Gaelic for "Are you drunk yet?"

I'm not, and it's not only because of the day job. Yes, I celebrate my Irish Heritage today (along with many others, some of whom are about as Irish as my desk), but I don't go out with the intent to get drunk.

I'll lift a pint of Guinness or have a small glass of Bushmills or Jamison's, and with the American Irish influence, I'll be cooking corned beef, cabbage & potatoes to go with the Soda Bread, but that's not really the focus of this day, is it? The Irish have observed this day for thousands of years - here in America the celebrations started in 1737, and the first parade was in 1762...but it's always been around St. Patrick's birth(and some believe death)date.

One blog I read asked people to mention their favorite Irish Actors/Musicians/Writers. The Musician part was easy for me - Gaelic Storm - they are my all-time favorite Irish group. I heard a new one a few weeks ago at the Dallas Irish Fest - Town Pants - okay, so they're not "new," just "new to me."

So, what's your favorite St. Patrick's Day tradition? Do you dress in Green? Wear your "Kiss me, I'm Irish" button or t-shirt? Do you sport a shamrock? Will you be partaking of any green beer or other festive drinks tonight? Is the corned beef cooked & waiting to be consumed?

It's a fun holiday, so celebrate it!

May you have warm words on a cold evening,
A full moon on a dark night,
And the road downhill all the way to your door.
(traditional Irish blessing)

Thank you for playing along...

No comments: